The World’s 10 Largest Empires
10 largest empires in the world history: The world’s 10 largest empires, whose valor and power the world had kneeled in front of: Do you know about the largest empire in the world? If not, then let us tell you about the 10 largest empires.
- Maya civilization and empire is the oldest empire
- The name of the French Empire is also included in the major empires of the world.
- Learn about the 10 biggest empires here
List of Top 10 Largest Empires: Below top 10 largest empire in history. The one who ruled this earth and its resources, won it on the strength of his valor and power. Today we are going to tell you about 10 such huge empires of the world, whose expansion was on a large part of the earth. List of largest empires:
What was the largest empire in history? Top 10 largest empire in the world:10 largest empires in the world history.
10. The Portuguese Empire
10th largest empires in the world: The Portuguese Empire had its maximum extension in the nineteenth century when adding Europe, America, Africa and Asia added more than 10 million square kilometers. 10th biggest colonial empires are Portuguese. This empire spread throughout the world in the first half of the sixteenth century, from Brazil to the Moluccas and the trading enclave of Nagasaki. “The Portuguese empire was the first global empire in history, as well as the longest-lived of the modern European colonial empires.”
The empire began with the conquest of Ceuta in 1415 and ended in 1999 with the surrender of Macau. Throughout the fifteenth century, Portuguese ships organized by Henry the Navigator explored the west coast of Africa, mapping the territory and seeking trade, particularly in spices, gold and slaves.
The discovery of the sea route around Africa to India and the rest of Asia opened up enormous trading opportunities for the Portuguese Empire, and it moved aggressively to establish trading posts and fortified bases to control this trade. The Portuguese Empire went on to establish trading ports as far away as Muscat, Hormuz, Bahrain, Diu, Bombay, Goa, Portuguese Ceylon, Malacca, the Moluccan Islands, Macau, and Nagasaki.
Brazil was discovered in 1500 by Pedro Álvares Cabral. Although initially less important, Brazil would become the most important colony of the empire, from which it gathered resources such as gold, precious stones, sugar cane, coffee and other crops. Brazil gained its independence in 1822.
After a war in 1974 to overthrow the regime, the empire’s government recognized the independence of all its colonies, with the exception of Macau, which was returned to China in 1999.
What Are The Countries That The Portuguese Empire Colonized?
It is composed of territories and colonies overseas that are under the rule of Portugal. Portuguese Empire the 10th Largest Empires Countries List:
- Brazil (Capital: Brasilia)
- By far the largest colony of this empire, the Federative Republic of Brazil is also the largest country in South America and Latin America.
- Angola (Capital: Luanda)
- The Republic of Angola is a country in the west coast of south central Africa. It is the continent’s seventh largest country.
- Mozambique (Capital: Maputo)
- The Republic of Mozambique is a country in the south east region of Africa
- Guinea-Bissau (Capital: Bissau)
- The Republic of Guinea-Bissau, also known at that time as Portuguese Bissau, is a country in the western region of Africa and was once a part of the Gabu kingdom.
- Cape Verde (Capital: Praia)
- Cabo Verde or the Republic of Cabo Verde is an archipelagic country of 10 volcanic islands in the Atlantic Ocean
- São Tomé and Príncipe (Capital: São Tomé)
- The Democratic Republic of São Tomé and Príncipe is an island country located in the Gulf of Guinea.
- Goa, India (Capital: Panajim)
- Goa is a state on the south west coast of India in the Konkan region.
- East Timor (Capital: Dili)
- The Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste or Timor-Leste is a Southeast Asian country which is the eastern half of the island of Timor
- The Macao Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China, also known at that time as Portuguese Macau is a special administrative region of China
9. The Yuan dynasty
9th largest empires in the world: Kublai Khan, the famous ruler of the 11th century officially proclaimed himself the dynasty.
The Yuan Dynasty was a Chinese dynasty founded by Mongol invaders and one of the largest empires in history. The dynasty began in 1271. Its founder, Kublai Khan, grandson of Genghis Khan, was also the fifth and last great khan of the Mongol Empire, and the first Chinese emperor of the Yuan dynasty until 1294. The Yuan Dynasty covered a territory of 8.7 kilometers2 (5.41 million miles2), more than 9% of the Earth’s mass. The empire had almost 75 million inhabitants in 1291, about 17% of the world’s population.
Five years after the founding of the dynasty, Kublai Khan captured the capital of the Song Dynasty, its greatest southern rival and unified all of China. The dynasty enjoyed an abundant life, encouraged trade with foreign countries, as well as visits from the famous Venetian merchant and traveler Marco Polo. Largest Empires.
8. The Umayyad Caliphate
8th largest empires in the world The Umayyad Caliphate or Caliphate of the Umayyads was an Arab lineage that exercised the power of caliph, first in the East, with capital in Damascus, and then in al-Andalus, with capital in Cordoba. Strictly speaking, the dynasty began with Muawiya ibn Abi Sufytan, or Mu’awiya I, and ended with Marwan II, a product of the Abbasid Revolution in 750. The Umayyad Caliphate covered 11,100,000 km2 (5.02 million miles2) of land, more than 8% of the Earth’s mass. The Caliphate had 62 million inhabitants between 720 and 750, almost 30% of the world’s population. Largest Empires.
The Umayyad Caliphate was the second of the four major Islamic caliphates established after Muhammad’s death. Although the Umayyad family originated in Mecca, Mu’awiya I chose Damascus as his capital. The Caliphate of the Umayyads, named after the great-grandfather of the first Umayyad Caliph, reigned between 661 and 750 AD. Largest Empires.
7. The Abbasid Caliphate
7th largest empires in the world The Abbasid Caliphate was a caliphal dynasty founded in 750 by Abu l-Abbas, a descendant of Abbas, Muhammad’s uncle, who seized power after eliminating the Umayyad dynasty and claiming Baghdad as its capital.
At that time, Baghdad would become one of the main centers of world civilization during the caliphate of Harun al-Rashid, a character in The Thousand and One Nights. Largest Empires.
The Abbasid Caliphate spanned 6.9 kilometers2 (4.29 million miles2) of land, more than 7% of the Earth’s mass. The empire had an unknown number of population by the year 750. Largest Empires.
6. The French colonial empire
6th largest empires in the world France may be the only country in the world that had two separate empires with just over a decade between them. The first colonial empire began in 1534 and lasted until 1814. The second colonial empire, which turned out to be the larger of the two, began in 1830 when France took Algiers. France claimed dominion over 11.5 million square kilometers of land, or about 4.4 million square miles. The first empire had lost most of its territories after participating in several wars with Britain. The French Revolution, the Napoleonic Wars, and the American Revolution resulted in a loss of land for France.
After the end of the Napoleonic Wars, Britain returned several territories to France, re-establishing its empire for the second time. France’s dominance extended to places like Senegal, New Caledonia, Haiti, Vietnam, and more.
Throughout the 1960s and 1970s, France ceded control of many of the lands it had conquered to its rightful owners, including Algeria and Vanuatu, which was the last country to regain its independence in 1980. Largest Empires.
Former French Colonies
6th biggest empire in the world: French Empire The 6th Largest Empires Countries List:
List of French Colonies Countries
|Former French Colonies|
|Antigua and Barbuda|
|Colony of Niger|
|French concessions in Shanghai|
|French Mandate for Syria and Lebanon|
|French protectorate in Morocco|
|French protectorate of Tunisia|
|French Upper Volta|
|Isle de France|
|Kwang Chou Wan|
|Saint Vincent and the Grenadines|
|Upper Senegal and Niger|
Top 5 Largest Empires
5. The Qing dynasty
5th largest empires in the world : At 14.7 million square kilometers or about 5.7 million square miles, the Qing Dynasty in China was the largest empire in that country by far, although it is debatable whether the Mongol Empire was also considered a Chinese empire.
As China’s last imperial dynasty, it lasted from 1644 to 1912. The Republic of China was established thereafter when Puyi, the last emperor, was forced to abdicate following the Xinhai Revolution. The Qing Dynasty came after the Ming Dynasty when the Manchus rose up against the Ming armies and occupied several cities. It would be a couple of decades before the Ming Dynasty was officially overthrown and Emperor Shunzhi established the Qing Dynasty in its place.
The new empire was quite progressive at first, although many of the Han people who are now under its rule were not treated kindly. The Kangxi Emperor established detailed maps and a standardized dictionary. He lowered taxes and fought corruption. The empire expanded to include Taiwan and much of Siberia, which contributed greatly to the massive size. Largest Empires.
4. The Spanish Empire
4th largest empires in the world: The Spanish Empire is counted among the earliest empires of the world. It covered the regions of Europe, North and South America, Africa, Asia and Oceania. The expansion of this empire also affected the culture of many countries of the world. This 600-year-old empire dominated the whole world due to its economic power. 1
The Spanish Empire or Spanish Universal Monarchy was a set of Spanish territories ruled by the Hispanic dynasties between the sixteenth and nineteenth centuries. The empire reached 20 million kilometers2 (12 million miles2), more than 13% of the Earth’s mass. The empire had 68.2 million inhabitants between 1740 and 1790, 12% of the world’s population.
The Spanish Empire was the fifth largest monarchy by extension in history. But some point out as its moment of maximum expansion, the one between the years 1580 and 1640, during the reigns of Philip II, Philip III and Philip IV, period in which the dynastic union with Portugal took place (considered a mere Spanish conquest by a large number of historians).
Spanish empire spread further during the days of Christopher Columbus and lasted in some parts of Africa until the late 20th century. British empire is the largest empires by population. Largest Empires.
What Are The Following Countries That The Spanish Empire Colonized?
Here are the following countries that are under its control. 3rd Largest Empires Countries List::
- Mexico (Capital: Mexico City)
- Also known as the United Mexican States, it is a country south in the North American continent.
- Florida (Capital: Talahassee)
- Florida is the southernmost state in the United States of America.
- California (Capital: Sacramento)
- California is another state in the United States of America that is in the Pacific Region. It is also the most populous state in U.S.
- Nevada (Capital: Carson City)
- Nevada is a state in the western portion of the United States of America.
- Utah (Capital: Salt Lake City)
- Utah is a state in the western portion of the United States of America.
- Arizona (Capital: Phoenix)
- Arizona is a state in the southwestern portion of the United States of America.
- New Mexico (Capital: Santa Fe) (portion)
- New Mexico is a state in the southwestern portion of the United States of America.
- Guatemala (Capital: Guatemala City)
- The Republic of Guatemala is a country located in Central America that is surrounded by Mexico, Belize, the Carribean, Honduras, El Salvador, and the Pacific Ocean
- El Salvador (Capital: San Salvador)
- The Republic of El Salvador is a country in Central America that is the smallest and most populous country in the region.
- Honduras (Capital: Tegucigalpa)
- The Republic of Honduras is a country in Central America that is surrounded by Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Gulf of Forensica, and the Carribean Sea.
- Nicaragua (Capital: Managua)
- The Republic of Nicaragua is a country in Central America that is considered the largest in the region.
- Costa Rica (Capital: San José)
- The Republic of Costa Rica is a sovereign state in Central America.
- Panama (Capital: Panama City)
- The Republic of Panama is a country in Central America that is surrounded by Costa Rica, Colombia, the Carribean Sea, and the Pacific Ocean.
- Colombia (Capital: Bogotá)
- Venezuela (Capital: Caracas)
- The Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela is a country at the north coast of South America, which consists of a landmass and surrounding small islands.
- Ecuador (Capital: Quito)
- The Republic of Ecuador is a country in the northwestern part of South America.
- Peru (Capital: Lima)
- The Republic of Peru is a country in the western part of South America
- Bolivia (Capital: Sucre and La Paz)
- The Plurinational State of Bolivia is a landlocked state in the western and central part of South America
- Chile (Capital: Santiago)
- The Republic of Chile is a country of South America which occupies a long and narrow strip of land in the Andres and the Pacific Ocean.
- Argentina(Capital: Caracas)
- The Argentine Republic is a country in the southern half of South America.
- Paraguay (Capital: Asunción)
- The Republic of Paraguay is a country in South America.
- Uruguay (Capital: Montevdeo)
- The Oriental Republic of Uruguay is a country in the southeastern part of South America.
- Cuba (Capital: Havana)
- The Republic of Cuba is composed of the island of Cuba, Isla de la Juventud and many small archipelagos
- Puerto Rico (Capital: San Juan)
- The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico is a territory in the United States that is in the northeatern part of the Carribean Sea
- Louisiana (Capital: Baton Rouge)
- Louisiana is a state in the southern part of the United States of America.
- Philippines (Capital: Manila)
- The Republic of the Philippines is an archipelagic country in South East Asia that is composed of 7, 614 islands.
- Guam (Capital: Hagåtña)
- Guam is a territory in the United States of America which is in the western part of the Pacific Ocean.
- The Marianas
- The Mariana Islands is an archipelago which forms the shape of the crescent moon.
- The Carolines
- The Caroline Islands is a scattered archilpelago in the western Pacific Ocean.
- Morocco (Capital: Rabat)
- The Kingdom of Morocco is is a sovereign state in the Maghreb region of North Africa.
- Canary Islands (Capital: Las Palmas de Gran Canaria)
- The Canary Islands is an archipelagic autonomous community of Spain.
- Western Sahara (disputed)
- Western Sahara is a disputed territory in the Maghreb region of North and West Africa
- Equatorial Guinea (Capital: Malabo)
- The Republic of Equatorial Guinea is a country in Central Africa that is known as the colony of Spanish Guinea.
Top 3 largest Empires in The World
3. The Russian Empire
3rd largest empires in the world: The Russian Empire was a state that existed from 1721 to the Russian Revolution of 1917. He was the successor of the Tsardom of Russia and the predecessor of the Soviet Union. It was the second largest contiguous empire in the history of the world, surpassed only by the Mongol Empire, and the third largest empire behind the British Empire and the Mongol Empire. At some point in 1866, it spread from Eastern Europe to Asia and as far as North America. Largest Empires.
Created in 1721, after Tsar Peter the Great received agreement from the Senate to use the title of “Emperor of All Russias”. Before him, Ivan III the Great, the grandfather of Ivan IV the Terrible, who had declared Russia’s independence from the Golden Horde, had already been called “Ruler of All Russia”.
The Russian Empire sank during the Bolshevik Revolution: on March 2, 1917, Nicholas II abdicated in favor of his brother, Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich, but the latter refused the crown. The rest, we know it. During the night of July 17-18, 1918, the Tsar, his family, his servant, the family doctor, the maid and the cook were shot on the orders of Yakov Sverdlov, the Chairman of the Central Executive Committee (Head of State) at the time. Largest Empires.
Russian Empire Emperors
- Peter I 1721-1725
- Catherine I 1725-1727
- Peter II 1727-1730
- Anna 1730-1740
- Ivan VI 1740-1741
- Elizabeth 1741-1763
- Peter III 1763
- Catherine II 1763-1796
- Paul I 1796-1801
- Alexander I 1801-1825
- Nicholas I 1825-1855
- Alexander II 1855-1881
- Alexander III 1881-1894
- Nicholas II 1894-1917
Russian Empire Countries
At the height of the Russian Empire’s power, the Russian Empire included: 2nd Largest Empires Countries List:
- Modern Russia
2. The Mongol Empire
2nd largest empires in the world: It all started when Temujin (later known as Genghis Khan) vowed, in his youth, to bring the world back to his feet. He almost did. His first act was the unification of the scattered Mongol tribes. He then set his sights on China and the rest is history. From Vietnam to Hungary, the Mongol Empire is the largest contiguous empire in human history. Unfortunately for them, their empire was too big to control and there was no unity between different cultures. The Mongols were fearless and ruthless fighters, but they had little experience in administration. The image of the Mongols as a brutal and savage people is recognized throughout history.
The Khanate of Jagatai: it was in 1334 that he fell, after the conversion of Tarmachirin to the Muslim religion. Indeed, his Khanate was literally split in two, with on one side Transoxiana, Muslim, and Mughalistan on the other, of Buddhist obedience. For the Mughals, this conversion was considered a betrayal and they deposed Tarmachirin, before executing him. After that, the two regions split.
The Empire of the Golden Horde (Russia, Ukraine): it all began in 1380, when the Russians rose up against Mongol domination, after 14 Khans had succeeded each other in the space of 20 years, with the Battle of Kulikovo. And it was in 1430, with the creation of the Crimean Khanate, that the Empire broke up, the Khanate then rallying to Ivan III of Russia, and refusing to pay its tribute to the Mongols. Largest Empires.
How many countries did the Mongol Empire conquer?
Led by Genghis Khan and his sons and grandsons, the Mongols briefly ruled most of modern-day Russia, China, Korea, southeast Asia, Persia, India, the Middle East and eastern Europe. They reshaped world geography, culture and history in ways that still resound today.
1. The British Empire
1st largest empire in the world: The British Empire had its heyday in the early twentieth century when it had territories on all five continents along more than 35 million square kilometers.
First Largest Empires In The World
What countries were in the British Empire?
The Great Britain is largest empire ever: Former colonies of the British Empire. The year of Independence is shown. Britain was world’s biggest empire in the world. as well as biggest empire of all time. Currently the union consists of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. There are devolved Parliaments for Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales that have powers relating to only those parts of the union. Largest Empires Countries list.
Antigua and Barbuda
Canada-1867–1982-(From 1949 this included Newfoundland and Labrador).
Iraq-1932 (British Mandate)
Ireland – 1948
Saint Kitts and nevis-1983
St Vincent and the Grenadina lines-1979
Trinidad and Tobago-1962
United States-1776. Prior to the American Revolution the 13 colonies were governed separately, these were New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.
Current British Territories Overseas
British Antarctic Territory
British Indian Ocean Territory
British Virgin Islands
Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Island
Turks and Caicos Islands.
What Are The Countries That The Portuguese Empire Colonized?
What Are The Following Countries That The Spanish Empire Colonized?
Read Also History of United Kingdom
Note: If there are any suggestions or corrections. Please mail us. Go in the contact section.
Comments are closed.